Are you confused about how to create a hashtag for your brand? In this post, we have created a guide to help you create an effective hashtag for your business.
Hashtags are nothing new in this digital age since they can be found on almost all social media channels. The question is, how much do you know about them?
A misconception amongst the “digital naïve” is that hashtags are easy to use because of how accessible they are. That couldn’t be more wrong. Trying to use hashtags without understanding them is like trying to write a book in a foreign language. It’s bound to end up in disaster. A generic hashtag might have lower visibility because people aren’t searching for hashtags that are too obscure so you need to be creative with your hashtags.
What is a Hashtag?
According to Wikipedia, A hashtag is a word or phrase preceded by the symbol # that classifies or categorizes the accompanying text.
Why should you consider maximizing the use of hashtags in your posts?
In the social media space, the hashtag is used to draw attention to posts, promote, and connect. It got its start on Twitter after Chris Messina’s viral post in 2007 as a way of making it easier for people to find, follow, and contribute to a conversation. Since then, it has become a well-known symbol recognized by everyone including, the digitally naïve.
Hashtags are the simplest way to organize endless amounts of information posted to social media so that you only see what you find relevant. Simply put, hashtags help categorize posts according to their contents so your audience can easily have access to them. It’s like putting things in a box and labelling them so they’re easily identifiable. Got it?
Most of the time whilst searching for information on social media, people make use of the hashtag to find the information they want easier and faster without stress. When you use hashtags in your posts, it becomes searchable by anyone on that platform. By using hashtags of interest to your ideal customer, you increase the chances of being found.
Do you create content with the passion to influence, educate, or reach out to a specific audience? Hashtags help bring like-minded people together. Your post can reach diverse people in the specific niche where you specialize. You can stand out as a thought leader with the right hashtags. Users with similar interests will find it easier to research and connect with your posts.
They can serve as key performance indicators for your brand. They help monitor brand engagements amongst your audience. Tools like hashtag analytics gives you insights into what’s resonating with customers or what’s falling flat. You can use this data to determine if a marketing strategy is effective or not.
Using a hashtag in your posts can serve as a way to contextualize what you are talking about, without writing repetitive captions. On social media, less is more.
How do you go about creating a hashtag for your brand?
Creating a hashtag requires creativity and insight. Make sure your hashtag is one that will resonate with your audience in a positive way. Don’t simply create a hashtag to have one.
- Research the popular hashtags in your industry. While it is great to have your unique hashtag, it saves cost and marketing efforts when you key into an already popular hashtag.
- Research which hashtags are trending. Remember, no matter how trending, it has to be in line with your brand’s image.
- Diversify your use of hashtags. Whilst hashtags are the same, their method of application differs across different platforms. Whilst #funfriday might be relevant on Instagram, it becomes irrelevant on Pinterest.
- Make your Hashtags count. While you can use 30 hashtags for a post, that doesn’t mean you should clutter your posts with hashtags that are irrelevant to your content or brand. Make sure your hashtags are relevant.
- Re-analyze your old posts to find out which hashtags were successful in the past. Make a point to include those in your future posts as well. A little repurposing hurt no one.
- Refresh your hashtags. By refreshing your hashtags, you are replacing your older hashtags with newer ones, thus pushing you back to the top of the Instagram search which shows results based on time. This helps you maintain relevance.
At Words On Us, we offer full content development for brands and businesses. Learn about our services by clicking on the link http://www.wordsonus.com.ng. Let’s help you put your brand on the map.