Graphics designing is one of the jobs many people see as “easy work” but that’s not at all true. Graphics design requires a range of skills, from creativity to patience. Design does not just happen on screen, it stands in the mind, and then you try your very best to replicate it on a screen. Sometimes, it has to get on paper first.
Aside from skills, there are a lot of things that have to be in place before a great design can be created. Every job has a set of things you can’t do without, and graphics design has its set too. These are the things you just must have, and we have put together five of them. So, here are 5 must-haves for any aspiring graphics designer to have.
- A LAPTOP: This is the most important “must-have” for every graphic designer.
This is your “office,” because this is where all the necessary work in designing is done. It doesn’t matter your location or the state of your workspace, you can get work done as long as you have a computer. I say laptop because if you’re just getting started, this is your best bet. It’s cheaper than a desktop computer, and it’s mobile.
2. INTERNET: As a graphic designer, you need the internet. You cannot do without internet. You need to be able to research your client to understand their style, and you need access to different social media platforms, like Instagram and Pinterest. Why? Because as much as you have the skills and the ideas, you need inspiration, and that’s where you’ll find it.
3. A GRAPHICS DESIGN SOFTWARE: You need at least two graphics design software. A graphic design software is a computer program that enables you to bring your design ideas to life. This is 2020, you’re not going to draw your design with crayons. You’re creating digital designs, and you need software to make that happen. You need two because one might have a special feature that the other does not, and vice versa.
Here are some graphics design software I use and love; Adobe Photoshop, Corel draw, Adobe illustrator. Each one serves its own purpose, depending on what I’m working on. Check them out.
4. A RELIABLE HARD DRIVE: This might look unnecessary, but I’ll say it’s “small but mighty” You need a hard drive to store your work, so as not to be left fuming when your laptop starts acting up.
Right now, you think your laptop is in perfect condition with lots of memory space so you don’t need an external hard drive. Oh how wrong you are! Whether you have a job or you’re just learning graphic design, you’re going to create a LOT of designs you don’t want to lose. You’ll have designs from projects, designs from your experiments, video tutorials you want to rewatch, ebook guides, and more. Put all of these and your laptop, add the design software, and you’ll get a laptop with arthritis. Get a hard drive and store away your treasures.
5. A SMARTPHONE: Why do I need a smartphone when I have a laptop? Well, the truth is, gadgets are like humans, and they act up at unexpected times. Your laptop might be stalling or the battery might be low when you need to get a job done and ready to deliver. You may even have a design idea and you don’t want to lose it. Boom! smartphone to the rescue.
Here are some graphics design applications to help yu create designs on your smartphone: Adobe spark post, Canva, Infinite Design, Adobe Photoshop Mix, etc.
In addition to the above, a smartphone will be useful to help you research ideas, check out trending designs, or just scroll endlessly looking for inspiration. With a smartphone, you can do this on the road, in bed, or even in the bathroom, just saying.
If you have these five things in place, you’re pretty much set to get started on your career as a graphics designer. Just don’t get them and neglect to get the skills. The best laptop and all the software in the world still need a user to create a design.
Has this been helpful? Let us know in the comments section!